Submission Deadline: October 31, 2022
The International Program and the Division of Epidemiology, Services and Prevention Research of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) will host the 16th Annual NIDA International SPR Poster Session at the SPR 31st Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, May 30 – June 2, 2023. The poster session will take place in conjunction with the SPR opening reception and the Poster I session, following the preconference workshops on May 30, 2023.
Posters should highlight research on the prevention of drug use, prevention of drug use in combination with alcohol use, or prevention of HIV/AIDS in the context of drug use or drug and alcohol use. We seek variation in study designs, focus (e.g., formative work, outcome, implementation science), populations, and data types (e.g., quantitative, qualitative or mixed methods approaches, program data, surveillance data, observational research, clinical trial data). Abstracts should include completed analyses. “Findings to be presented” abstracts will not be considered. Eligible research must have been conducted in international settings by international researchers, domestic researchers, or binational research teams.
Poster abstract submissions for the NIDA International SPR Poster Session will undergo the same peer review process as other submissions for SPR. If you have questions about your eligibility to submit a poster abstract for the NIDA International SPR Poster Session, please contact Sarah Steverman, PhD, Prevention Research Branch, NIDA, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Lisa Jordre at email@example.com.
- To submit your NIDA International Poster go to the SPR 2023 Annual Meeting page to access the online abstract submission site.
- Go to the Click Here to Submit blue button.
- Then scroll down to “Begin a submission to the following:” and select INDIVIDUAL POSTER PRESENTRATIONS. (Do not submit any other abstract format to the NIDA theme.)
- In the “Theme” step select: NIDA INTERNATIONAL SPR POSTER SESSION.
- In the “Title” step: Please include the country or region in your title. It must include a non U.S. location to be considered for the NIDA International SPR Poster
International Travel Awards for the NIDA International SPR Poster Session
A limited number of travel awards will be available for international researchers whose abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the 2023 NIDA International SPR Poster Session. The awards, which are sponsored by NIDA, provide partial support to cover costs associated with attending the 2023 NIDA International SPR Poster Session and the full SPR meeting.
To be eligible, applicants for these awards must:
- Use the SPR online abstract submission system to submit a poster abstract that is accepted for presentation at the NIDA International SPR Poster
- Register for and participate in the full SPR meeting and the SPR International Networking Forum (to be held before the poster session on May 30, 2023).
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than the United
- Be the first author of the submitted poster abstract (also refer to Binational Research Teams) or
- If the primary abstract author is a U.S. citizen and part of a binational research team (and thus ineligible for a travel award), the research team may nominate one of the foreign abstract authors who is part of the foreign investigative team for a travel award. The foreign abstract author must be a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than the United States and both the S. primary author and the foreign author must intend to participate fully in the NIDA International SPR Poster Session, the SPR International Networking Forum, and the full SPR meeting.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements and if your poster is accepted by SPR, NIDA will automatically consider your poster in its award decision-making process. No further action is needed from you.
When travel award selections are made, priority will be given to applicants who are:
- Researchers supported by NIDA studying the prevention of drug use, prevention of drug use in combination with alcohol use, or prevention of HIV/AIDS in the context of drug use or drug and alcohol use. Abstracts focusing only on alcohol will not be considered for a travel award.
- Alumni of NIDA-supported research training or exchange progra
- Citizens or permanent residents of low- and middle-income countries (as identified by the World Bank’s most current Classification of Economies).
Note: Applicants may not have received travel support from the NIDA International Program between July 1, 2022 and May 31, 2023.
International travel award amounts are based on an applicant’s residency:
North America (non-U.S. citizens) $500USD
Outside of North America $1,000USD
Applicants who accept a travel award to participate in the 2023 NIDA International SPR Poster Session will not be eligible to receive a travel award for the 2023 NIDA International Forum at the College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD) Conference; however, applicants are encouraged to participate in both the NIDA International SPR Poster Session and the NIDA International Forum.
All abstracts must be submitted online at https://preventionresearch.org/.
Submission Deadline: October 31, 2022
For questions regarding online abstract submission, the peer review process, or other details regarding the SPR Annual Meeting and International Networking Forum, please contact Jennifer Lewis by telephone at +1-703-934-4850, ext. 3 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.