Gifts of Cash
Gifts of cash are an easy and immediate way to give to Society for Prevention Research programs. Members of the Society for Prevention Research can provide a contribution when renewing their annual membership invoice. Check payments should be made payable to the Society for Prevention Research. From a tax standpoint, your cash gift is deductible from your itemized federal income tax return for the year in which the gift is made. There are multiple ways to give, and several are described below.  For US citizens we indicate donations that may be deductible from federal income tax returns. However, donations are welcome from citizens of any country and it may be worth checking on the regulations in your country as to whether there are forms of giving to international non-profit (charitable) organizations that are deductible for tax purposes.

Gifts of Retirement Funds
In order to avoid the potentially high taxes which can be levied against your estate, you may want to consider making a charitable contribution using your retirement assets. As you plan for your retirement it is important to remember that retirement assets can be subject to two levels of taxes when they are left to a non-spouse beneficiary — income and estate taxes.

Gifts of Royalty Income
Gifts of royalty income provide an ongoing contribution throughout the period of your contract with your publisher.  It is a gift that continues with little effort after the initial contract with your publisher is completed.

How do I make a gift of royalty income?
A gift of royalty income would be included in your publisher’s contract.  The publisher would remit royalties directly to the Society for Prevention Research on your behalf.

Planned Giving
Planned gifts provide a meaningful way of making a significant impact on the Society for Prevention Research’s future sustainability, while maximizing a benefactor’s philanthropic and financial goals. Planned giving takes many forms, including bequests, gifts of life insurance, and charitable remainder trusts. Legal counsel, or the advice of a financial planning expert, is recommended to assist you in determining the type of gift that is the most advantageous for you and the beneficiaries of your estate.

Bequests are the simplest form of planned gift and can be made by naming the Society for Prevention Research as a beneficiary in your will. This can be done by including language such as “I give and bequeath to Society for Prevention Research  located at 11240 Waples Mill Road, Suite 200, Fairfax, VA, 22030 an unrestricted gift of $xx,xxx…,” or you may wish to make a gift of some percentage of the remainder of your estate after all expenses are paid.

Life Insurance
You can name the Society for Prevention Research the beneficiary of a life insurance policy which is no longer needed for its original purpose. The Society for Prevention Research can also be made one of the beneficiaries of an active policy. If you have a policy which pays annual dividends, you can assign those dividends as a charitable gift to the Society for Prevention Research and receive an income tax deduction for the value of the dividends. You may also transfer ownership of a policy to the Society for Prevention Research and then deduct any premiums which you continue to pay. Insurance policies can also be used for wealth replacement purposes when you make a substantial outright gift or a deferred gift. Check with your legal counsel or financial advisor.

Charitable Remainder Trust
With the assistance of a lawyer, you may wish to establish a Charitable Remainder Trust which can provide you with income for life with a gift to the Society for Prevention Research upon death or termination of the trust.

If you are considering this meaningful way to support the Society for Prevention Research, we would like to recognize your generosity and ensure the intent of your gift is on record. Please call Jennifer Lewis, Executive Director at 703-934-4850, ext. 3 and to notify us about your planned gift.

Please note that the Society for Prevention Research, a 501(c)3 organization, cannot render tax or legal advice and we urge you to consult with your professional advisor about your situation before making a charitable gift.